Thursday, July 19, 2012

Focusing on the why

7.18.12
Calories: 2,372
Exercise: 30 minutes Mall Walking
Drinks: 3

I read an excerpt from Michael Pantalon's book Instant Influence. He claims you get can anyone to do anything in 7 minutes or less by tapping into their existing motivation. I thought about this yesterday as I walked through the mall. I am a long way from being full committed to losing 80 pounds. A long, long way. Under Pantalon's guidance, I asked myself  "Why am I even thinking about it at all? Why am I even out here exercising?" 

I want to fully enjoy my vacations with my husband. On the last 3 major vacations, I had to hold back and send my husband ahead or we both didn't do something because I didn't trust my body would be able to handle it or I wasn't feeling well. That sucks. It also sucks that I am above the weight limit for things I want to do.

I want to live a long time pain free. Right now, I am dealing with the implications of the excess weight - a few creaks in the morning, tiredness that is annoying, but I can still function day to day. If my weight continues to increase or stay the same, my body will start to give out. That would suck.

I want to look at pictures and not be ashamed of how large I have become.

I want to shop in the clearance section of the regular stores. Back when I was a 16 (I am a 22W/24W now), I could persue Macy's, JCPenney, Ann Taylor and come out with some really cute, low priced goods.

I want to wear high heels again. I wear down my shoes to badly because they just aren't built to accomodate that much weight.

I want to see my toes. When I was in elementary school, I remember walking around the track. The mean boys were taunting me about how fat I was and said, "I bet she can't see her toes." I couldn't then and I can't now.

I see Pantalon's point. Focusing on the "why are you even trying" really helps put things in perspective. There have been changes I have made and stuck to:
1. Drinking a green smoothie for breakfast instead of eating carbs.
2. Switching to almond milk in my coffee instead of dairy.

The third change I am going to work on is walking every day. I agree with Gretchen Rubin from the The Happiness Project. She says if she wants to change a behavior - she has to commit to doing it every day. Otherwise, the off days will take over. I agree. So walking every day it is. I have walked Tuesday and Wednesday this week and have a buddy lined up for today and tomorow. Saturday should be easy - first thing. Sunday, I am walking in a parade so here's to this week!

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment